Saturday, April 12, 2008

Mistah Crushah!

I while ago I posted about a childhood memory of taping Star Trek with a cassette recorder. I was inspired to write that down after reading some good essays by Wil Wheaton in his new book The Happiest Days of Our Lives. These are entertaining and sometimes poignant stories about growing up a geek and being a grown-up geek. The best thing about these stories is that they are generally hopeful and happy, even when he relates sad memories. Happiest Days is currently available only through Wheaton's blog. It's a rather slim volume for the $20 price, but I liked it a lot. You can experience his writing with little investment, though, by checking out Dancing Barefoot or Just a Geek, both available for peanuts on AbeBooks. Of course, you can also find his essays in a library or on his blog for zero dollars and zero cents.
The Sci-Fi Pie author as a young geek
For those of you who don't know, Wil Wheaton got famous as the wiz-kid Wesley Crusher in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Since then, he's been writing books and blogs, acting in a few movies/TV shows, playing Celebrity Poker, and living life with his family like the rest of us.

5 comments:

About the artist said...

They had the Galileo series up to 7 already when you were still so young?

p.s. cute!

Nicole Maynard-Sahar said...

Cute, cute, cute!!!

MGBR said...

A friend of mine who also blogs mentioned Wil Wheaton just yesterday -- she's hoping to catch a glimpse of him when she goes to the WSOP (that's World Series of Poker, I learned).

Andrew said...

That's cool! I built that exact model, probably at the same age!

Don said...

Yes, and note the Klingon D-7 Battle Cruiser on the table, too. I hung them from my ceiling, with a piece of red yarn between them representing a phaser blast. I guess the scale difference didn't bother me.